The Society of Women Engineers (SWE), founded in 1950, is a not-for-profit educational and service organization. SWE is the driving force that establishes engineering as a highly desirable career aspiration for women. SWE empowers women to succeed and advance in those aspirations and be recognized for their life-changing contributions and achievements as engineers and leaders.
Officer Constitution :: Section History
Stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life, demonstrate the value of diversity.
- Inform young women, their parents, counselors, and the general public, of the qualifications and achievements of women engineers and the opportunities open to them.
- Assist women in readying themselves for a return to active work after temporary retirement.
- Serve as a center of information on women in engineering.
- Encourage women engineers to attain high levels of education and professional achievement.
- Education and Outreach: The technical professions will benefit, and the quality of life will be enhanced by more women of all backgrounds pursuing the profession of engineering.
- Inclusive Organization: SWE will be an inclusive organization focused on issues of interest to women of all backgrounds in engineering and technical careers.
- Knowledge Source: SWE will be a worldwide leader and preferred partner in the creation and advancement of information about women in technical careers.
- Professional Leadership: Women will be acknowledged as demonstrating the skills required to be effective leaders in a global marketplace.
- Integrity: We aspire to the highest level of ethical behavior as evidenced by honesty and dignity in our personal and professional relationships and responsibilities.
- Respect: We acknowledge gender, ethnic, cultural and other differences, and strive to respect the added values they bring.
- Mutual Support: We provide an organization that fosters mentoring, and the development of professional and personal networks.
- Professional Excellence: We conduct our activities in a professional manner, demonstrating and demanding the highest standards of business practices.
The Society of Women Engineers acknowledges and respects the value of a diverse community. SWE recognizes that the scope of diversity includes race/ethnicity, family status, age, physical abilities, sexual orientation, socio-economic status and occupational focus. SWE will maintain an environment that is supportive of these elements. We will promote inclusion within our organization and the engineering community.
We commit to:
¤ Developing women in engineering across socio-economic strata and occupational focus.
¤ Encouraging the interest and active participation of women and girls of underrepresented ethnic groups, including African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, and Native Americans.
¤ Providing support to women which acknowledges and respects differences in family status, sexual orientation, age, and physical abilities.
We will ensure that all by-laws, policies, and charters support SWE's commitment to diversity. We will align with and participate in those activities and organizations that encourage all dimensions of diversity. Consideration of these and other elements of diversity will guide the statements and activities of the Society. Nothing in this statement is intended or shall be construed to unlawfully deprive any person of his or her educational and employment opportunities, compensation, and/or benefits.